Destaco's engineers can customize automation or End-of-Arm Tooling (EOAT) products and applications to your needs!
Whether you’re an engineering manager, design engineer, or purchasing agent - your projects would be easier if manufacturing products and solutions were all one size fits all. Unfortunately, customization is oftentimes required to achieve your automated workholding or material-handling goals. This is especially true for applications that involve manual clamps, end effectors, grippers and indexers – or a combination of many other products.
While many engineering professionals don’t distinguish between a customized “product” and a customized “solution,” they are different in-that a “product” is an individual gripper or clamp, while a “solution” is an entire application design with multiple types of products.
- Custom Product Services – A customized product is typically modified for a specific application. From specialized bases for indexers and conveyors to accessories that improve functionality for your clamps, Destaco tailors customized products to meet your application goals. (Click to learn more)
- Custom Partnered Solutions – A custom partnered solution utilizes components from different families of products – some of which may be customized, and combines them into a solution that satisfies the needs of your application. Drawing on over 100 years of doing business with engineers at every level, Destaco has designed and installed applications of nearly all shapes and sizes. Download our ‘Solutions Form’, fill it out, and e-mail it to our applications engineers to learn how we can help you. (Click to learn more)
Step 1 - Discussing Your Application Needs & Objectives
Creating your customized automation product and/or solution begins with Destaco’s designer engineers learning about your application. In-order to obtain a clear vision for your project, we’ll typically ask for a list of all of your process’s variables, for example – what item you must move or pick-up, whether the environment is hazardous, and what types of tooling you already have in-place.
Most important is describing the characteristics of the material that needs to be moved from Point A to Point B. During this discovery phase, Destaco designers will usually need to know the weight, size and shape of the object/s and the speed at which your procedure needs to be completed.
Along with Destaco's general 'Solutions Form', our automation engineers have created a version for bag gripper automation applications! (click to download)
A custom pick-and-place application utilizing Destaco’s lightweight tooling and Robohand grippers was designed to move multiple yogurt containers efficiently into the next step of the packaging process.
A medical manufacturing company requested a custom material handling solution to improve the efficiency of lab tray movements within a lab cart system.
Step 2 - Creating Your Automation & Workholding Blueprint
Based on your discovery conversations and information gathered in Destaco’s “Solutions Form”, our automation engineers can determine which components are required and whether individual workholding products will need to be customized.
There are many factors that can go into these blueprinting decisions, including the following:
- What type of automation do you use (robot, gantry, crane, etc.)
- What’s the preferred form of tool-changer (manual, automatic, or none)
- What type of vacuum system will be used (Venturi System, port-only, etc.)
- What structure is the existing tooling (round, welded, etc.)
Step 3 - Design Validation & Installation
As any necessary parts or components are gathered from suppliers, Destaco’s application engineers can send you technical specifications of your custom product or automation solution. This provides you with the opportunities to propose improvements or approve the plan.
Once installation begins, Destaco can also assist your team. In the event that your team lacks the technical expertise, we staff automation experts who can manage installation and design validation on-site. Destaco’s engineers can even provide hands-on training for your staff in-order to make them familiar with your custom product or application’s functionality.
Our commitment to your project success extends beyond the initial set-up, as Destaco products feature a 1-year warranty – and sometimes a lifetime warranty for tooling!
A customized bread packaging application incorporating Destaco’s BodyBuilder tooling and Robohand grippers was designed to streamline and improve the bundling and packing process while maintaining the products’ vulnerable shape.
Destaco's Custom Solutions & Products Portfolio
Thanks to over 100 years in workholding, automation, and in the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) industry - Destaco's application and product engineers are able to draw on a wealth of past project experience. Because specialized automation crosses so many markets and industries, we've made versatility a priority throughout our custom engineering services.
Here are a few examples of past applications that we've executed for our clients:
- Consumer Goods - A paper-product producer had a goal to increase their production rates by over 25% and safeguard vulnerable cams within their current application design. Destaco custom product specialists addressed these needs by creating a self-contained indexer that featured ancillary motions. The indexer drove a belt and pulley using only a single power source. This design was then mounted to a chassis. The result was a fully-housed design that met the client's productively goals, while also reducing maintenance on indexers.
- Food Processing & Packaging - Due to the prevalence of conveyors in the food processing/packaging industry, Destaco experts are knowledgeable in how to execute a wide range of applications. For example, clients oftentimes seek a cost-effective alternative to the automated guided vehicles incorporated within their existing conveyor-based application. Destaco typically addresses that needs with heavy-duty precision link conveyors that feature a carousel design, combined with Camco indexers. With these types of systems mounted onto a welded base frame, clients have enjoyed a system-wide cost savings of over 25%. (for a 9-station configuration)
- Linear & Rotary Pick-and-Place - A popular application across several markets is the removal of items from a feeder bowl and then placing those items on an assembly fixture. Destaco's automation specialists have designed many applications that achieve this outcome by utilizing a two-axis, (rotary and linear) cam-operated mechanical robot. Our portfolio also includes applications that required lift-and-transfer along a "U" motion.
Follow these two links to learn more about, and see examples of, our customized products and custom partnered solutions or contact us today to share your application goals with our team of experts!